Sunday, May 10, 2009

Another busy couple of weeks have flown by in our house. Most of it has been business as usual- with only a few bumps along the way.


Last weekend will make it into Griffins baby book (that is if he had one!). He got his first "real" boo-boo, and by "real", I mean- it involved stitches.


So last Saturday, I'm sitting in the hairdressers chair- about to get my much needed highlight and cut- when I get the call from Ryan. Griff had fallen, hit his mouth on the wooden rocker, blood all over, and they were going to the ER. I'm sure that I'll not be winning the "mother of the year"award after I admit this, but my first thought was "can't Ryan just deal with this, so that I can finally get my hair done". I know- shame on me, but I knew that any cuts on the mouth or anywhere on the head really bleed a lot, and that it probably looked worse than it was. Try telling that to a panicked father!


Being the horrible mother that I am- since I was only 2 minutes away from the hospital, and it was going to take Ryan 40 minutes to get there- I decided to use that time to get the haircut. Hey- I had a party to go to that night! Anyway, by the time that Ryan met me in the parking lot the bleeding had stopped and it wasn't as bad as Ryan had first thought- just as I had figured. We decided to bring him in anyway- we were there, and at worse they would think that we were overprotective parents.



He ended up needing 3 stitches to close his lip- and lucky for all of us his teeth hadn't quite gone through the inside so they didn't have to stitch that. I say lucky for all of because from the time that they put in the room- it was like a switch had been flipped and Griff realized that he was tired, sore, hungry, and I really think he knew what was in store for him- so he screamed, and cried, and screamed. It took 3 adults to hold him down so that the Dr could do the stitches. Who knew a 17 month old could be that strong? or spit that much?



After all of that, he is completely fine. The stitches only had to stay in for 5 days, and the removal, while it wasn't fun, was over quickly and he was smiling shortly afterward. It's still a little swollen, and I hope that it doesn't leave too much of a scar. I'm trying not to jump the gun but, I have this bad feeling that we're going to become frequent customers of the ER with that child. He's fearless, and thinks that everything is funny- a dangerous combo, if you ask me.

No comments:

Post a Comment