Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Just when I thought that I wasn't busy enough, something else comes along that seems insurmountable. Yesterday I found out that I tested positive for Celiac Disease. Seriously.

On one hand, it explains a lot. The headaches, body aches, and possibly even infertility. It's good to know that all the symptoms weren't all in my head. I have an actual explanation, and in some ways it's a relief. Plus, it's not a fatal or crippling disease. It definitely could be a LOT worse.

However, all that positivity isn't stopping me from being totally overwhelmed, depressed and irritated. All I can think about is all the stuff that I will have to give up. Oh fresh, warm, crusty bread how I love you so! It's like a break up, and I'm devastated. Not to mention the total and complete freedom to eat whatever I want, whenever I want. It's now gone, and I am sentenced to a life of planning ahead, checking every single label, and being that annoying customer at the restaurant that asks for special food. I can no longer wander in to a bakery and savor a delicious, gooey pastry. I will never be able to order the roast beef asiago sandwich (my favorite!) at Panera again.

I'm sad. Seriously sad.

This is my new life though, and I don't have much of a choice in this. So I know that I have to get over it and forge ahead. It will be my own personal challenge to cook, and bake delicious gluten free goods. I look forward to the day when I feel so fantastic that I look back and realize that I spent way too long feeling like crap. Today is not that day though. Today I am still wallowing in my own self pity while I check all my antidepressants for gluten. Yup, even medications can contain gluten- who knew?!

No comments:

Post a Comment