Sunday, January 9, 2011

TWO whole days without a headache!!!! I am so excited, and happy. While I was waiting on some prescriptions to be refilled last week, I came across a copy of Migraines for Dummies. I started flipping through it and thought that it had some pretty decent info, so I bought it. My little light bulb went off when I came to the part about the rebound headaches. Since my surgery, I've been taking Percocet and Vicodins. Not a ton of them, there's no worries about me needing any type of rehab, but for a couple of weeks I've taken 1 or 2 a day. That may not be a lot for some people, but with how sensitive my system can be, I really think I was having rebounding pain.

So this week, I made a huge effort to deal with this whole situation. First, I started by making an extra effort with my post surgery sinus care. Not that I wasn't doing a good job to begin with, but my sinuses are being stubborn with draining properly (which causes pain & pressure, hence the need for meds). So I pushed the steaming, rinsing, using the saline and the ointment. I am really starting to feel the difference these last couple of days. The only real way to deal with the rebounding effect is to not take pain meds, so that meant suffering through it. I slept a lot, and used cool packs on my head, used my warming wrap around my neck when it felt like I should. I also used my migraine meds without any extra pain relievers.

Will this be the answer? I'm not sure, but for the first time in a month I've been headache free for 2 straight days. It's certainly not going to cure me of my migraines, but since the surgery I hadn't had 1 pain free day. Chronic pain is truly depressing, and I'm so ready to join the land of the living again. So for now, I'm enjoying every minute of this.

So as my little reward to myself, I went out and bought an iPod Touch yesterday. I was a good girl and only got the 8gb. Since we can't use our computers at work to access the internet, and now we have a manager there until 8pm (so I won't be able to bring my laptop in), I thought an iPod would be a good idea. Plus, our office mgr (the wise one) decided to have the speakers cut on our side of the office so there is no longer any background music. It tends to get very quiet at night, so now I have a new toy to keep me busy. I absolutely love it so far and Griffin already asked me if he could have one to!

1 comment:

  1. good for you for recognizing the rebound stuff. i hope it works out.

    i have itouch too. LOVE it. got the same size. i can give you names of games i love. look me up on words with friends and challenge me to game. its free scrabble game. i love it. i think i am lepf1. i checked. i am. i am not that good; you will likely win---incentive already! (and if kelly is reading, look me up too!!!)
    lorraine

    ReplyDelete